posted on: Monday, July 2, 2018
The 60th reunion for Ursuline Academy Louisville, Class of 1958, took place on Sunday, June 10 in the Motherhouse on the Ursuline Campus. This special anniversary was organized by committee members Wanda Haas Bell, Joyce Kadler Klusman and Diana Diebold Shuck.
Twenty-six graduates attended the liturgy and lunch. While most live in Kentucky, Ruth Parker made the journey from Dawsonville, Georgia to celebrate.
The liturgy in the Motherhouse Chapel was presided by Rev. William Fichteman. The first and second readers, petitioner, cross bearer, gift bearers, and eucharistic ministers were: Joyce Kadler Klusman, Joyce Nowacki Reddington, Diana Diebold Shuck, Mary Angela Weise Stevens, Janice Hundley Faller, Stella Kinderman Godbey, Sybil Alt, Joan Green Hans and Elsie Brown Boyd.
Lunch followed in the Motherhouse social room. Dessert was a sheet cake with the Ursuline Academy logo digitalized on the icing. Although the coat of arms was edible, there was some hesitation whether or not to slice into it. The hesitation didn’t last long.
Memory sharing continued in the library where memorabilia and archival photos were on display. Ursuline Sister Janet Marie (Jodon) Peterworth (UA ’54) had everyone laughing as she went through a list of events, inventions, trends and fun facts that happened during their graduation year in 1958.
Cost of Living 1958
• Yearly Inflation Rate USA 2.73%
• Average Cost of new house $12,750.00
• Average Monthly Rent $92.00
• Average Yearly Wages $4,600.00
• Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents
PPOP CultureChina began "Great Leap Forward" modernization program, and an estimated 2
• The Top Song was At The Hop by Danny & The Juniors
• The Big Movies included South Pacific, Auntie Mame and Vertigo
• Price of a RCA Whirlpool refrigerator, 8 cu ft in 1958: $118.00
• The World Population was ~ 2,943,000,000
• Price of postage stamp is 4 cents
• Super Glue was invented in 1958
• The Hula Hoop was invented
• And... The word "modem" (first used in 1958) is derived from the words "modulator" and "demodulator" because it performs both tasks in order to send and receive data.
• Bruce Lee was a national dance champion, winning the 1958 Cha Cha Championship in Hong Kong.
• The current 50 star US flag was designed in 1958 by Robert Heft as a junior high history project and got a B- for it. The grade was later changed to an A after Heft's design was accepted and adopted by the United States Congress in 1959.
• Michael Jackson, Prince, and Madonna were all born in the Great Lakes region within 2 months of each other in 1958.
• As an experiment, Bank of America mailed 60,000 residents of Fresno, California a small plastic card with a $500 credit line. Bank of America figured if it failed, there'd be no media coverage because it was in Fresno. The experiment was hugely successful and the program became Visa.
• The American Express card was introduced in 1958.
• Crayola's Midnight Blue was originally named Prussian Blue, the change occurring in 1958 when the company realized most kids did not recognize the old nation of Prussia.
• Kitchens were smelling a lot cleaner thanks to the introduction of Mr. Clean in 1958. In 1998 People Magazine called Mr. Clean "one of the sexiest men alive".
• Larry King crashed into John F. Kennedy's car in 1958. JFK said he'd forget the whole thing if King promised to vote for him when he ran for president.
PMost Popular Christmas GiftsC
• Legos, Skateboard, Beat the Clock Game, Crayola Crayons with Built-In Sharpener, Concentration TV Game Home Version, Hula Hoop