Schools on the Ursuline Campus

In 1877, when the Louisville Ursulines purchased the first piece of the land that is the present Ursuline Campus, they immediately opened a school that has become Sacred Heart Academy and Sacred Heart Model School. Over the years, the Ursuline Sisters have sponsored educational programs at this site to meet various needs:

  • Sacred Heart Junior College (1922 – 1938)
  • Ursuline College for Women (1939 – 1968) – now part of Bellarmine University
  • Ursuline Speech Clinic (1956 – 1996)
  • Ursuline Tutoring Center (1960 – 1994)
  • Ursuline Special Education Learning Center (1964 – 1981)
  • Ursuline Montessori School – joined with UCDC to form Sacred Heart Pre-School in 2009 (1967 – present)
  • Ursuline School for the Performing Arts (1970 – present)
  • Ursuline Child Development Center – joined with the Montessori school to form Sacred Heart Preschool in 2009 (1986 – present)

Sacred Heart Schools
Sacred Heart Academy (1877–present)
Sacred Heart Model School (1924–present)
Sacred Heart Preschool (1967–present)
Sacred Heart School for the Arts (1969–present)

Approximately 1,500 students are enrolled in the various Sacred Heart schools and programs on the Ursuline campus. Click here to learn more about these schools and programs. The academic excellence and value formation for which these schools and programs are noted attest to the experience and commitment of the Ursulines as educators.

Colegio Parroquial Santa Angela Merici

1965–present
Founded in 1965 by the Ursuline Sisters of Louisville, Santa Angela Merici is located in Carmen De La Legua Reynoso, Callao, Peru, near Lima. The mission in Peru was in response to Pope John XXII’s 1961 request for religious communities to send missionaries to Latin America. Sisters Lee Kirchner and Mary Martha Staarman were the first administrators of the school, which began in one building in a then-slum area of impoverished families who had migrated to Carmen De La Legua Reynoso from the Andes Mountains. It is now a thriving coed, Pre-K through high school of 600+ students in the town of Carmen De La Legua, with Sister Sue Scharfenberger as mission effectiveness director. Sister Yuli Oncihuay, a native Peruvian, is a teacher at the school.

Photo: R to L: Sisters Damien, Clara Fehringer, Mary Martha Staarman, Lee Kirchner, 1968

Secondary Schools Formerly Operated by the Ursuline Sisters of Louisville

Click on a name below to see a timeline of significant dates in that school’s history.